“ICLP’s understanding of a global loyalty approach and their expert knowledge of the local China market was instrumental in successfully implementing a localised loyalty strategy which delivered membership growth and franchisee satisfaction.”
Vice President of Loyalty Marketing
A major hotel company based in the United States wanted to localise their global loyalty programme strategy to specifically cater for Chinese travellers, increase member acquisition and engagement throughout the region.
- Localising is more than translating. An in-depth understanding of the culture and mentality were just as vital as understanding the languages to developing a relevant proposition.
- The existing centralised global loyalty platform was a barrier to member acquisition as it did not support the capture of double byte characters typical in the Chinese language.
- A localised benefit structure and the delivery of relevant communications improved member engagement.
- Merchandise redemption analysis provided insight for the sourcing of new and relevant partners.
- Social media channels were key in understanding programme perceptions as well as identifying and proactively managing any potential issues.
- ICLP provided a strategic consultancy and programme plan to successfully localise their frequent guest programme to better meet the needs of the Chinese traveller and achieve the business objectives of the hotel group.
- Implemented a localised earning and redemption benefits approach through a more comprehensive partnership strategy which included the operational management of sourcing, processing, fulfilling and delivery of redeemed items.
- Developed and managed a loyalty system with dual language capabilities that integrated with a centralised global database allowing localised segmentation and database marketing activities.
- Implemented a multi-channel marketing plan that included the localisation in design, production and execution of global member communications whilst delivering local promotions and marketing campaigns.
- Provided a member support centre that managed inbound and outbound customer service responsibilities.
- Created a multi-lingual online member registration website to facilitate and increase member acquisition.
- The creation of digital acquisition campaigns leveraging social media to incentivise participation, increased member registration and initiated the development of a more interactive community.
- 100% year on year increase in member growth since 2007.
- The programme evolved to be more relevant to the Chinese traveller and now enables fully localised, relevant and tailored promotions and communications to its members.
- Members in China have the highest activity rates amongst all the hotel group's markets.
- The three tier redemption strategy has increased demand for low and medium value local non-hotel rewards.